Monday, January 14, 2013

A New Day Is Just As Amazing As A New Year

So. When is it officially time to stop saying "happy new year" to people? It's probably been about a week since I've said it to anyone, and I don't foresee myself saying it to anyone for the remainder of this year.

I usually feel a lot of pressure at the end of the year/beginning of the new year to make sure I have a post ready to share. That's when everyone's starting to put their goals into action, and in the blogosphere, I know for many inconsistent bloggers (such as myself at times) the new year is the perfect jump-start to hopping onto the regular/consistent blogging bandwagon.

Well, at the end of December 2012, to be honest I was far too busy to even think about blogging. The Husband and I went to Miami for Christmas (will share about that in a different post), and when we got back we had just a few days before New Year's Day, and because we are on the planning committee for the NYE event at our church, we had lots of last minute errands to do. In spite of the time crunch, the event went well, and the Lord was glorified. Afterwards I hung out all night/morning (til 7am!) with the Husband and some friends like some young, unmarried, un-pregnant college kid. (Geez I sound like such an old woman lol.) Might as well; won't be doing that anymore once baby girl gets here!

Anyways, all that to say that I didn't have time or energy to really put into writing a blog post about the new year. Plus, I felt like I was saying the same thing every year. How was 2013 going to be any different? What is it about the new year that is so special anyway? What makes people really look forward to the change in date? My personal conclusion is that for most people, a new year equals a new start. Typically we'll look back at the ending year and determine whether it was good, bad, or just okay. Did we keep our goals/resolutions? Did we start off the year strong only to lose our motivation and slack off as the weeks and months passed?

Let me start off by saying that making goals for the entire year is not a bad thing. To give foresight to some positive changes that need to happen in your life is great, and giving yourself a year to meet those goals is certainly generous. However, I think the problem arises when we set goals and make resolutions for our year and are not intentional about how we are going to stay on track to make them happen. In my experience, having an idea of what you want to happen simply isn't enough.

A friend shared this blog post with me, and it was so great in helping me bring focus and purpose to my personal goals. If you've already made your goals, I still suggest using the outline found in the blog to help you stay on track! When setting my goals, I also tried not to overdo it, what with baby girl coming along and everything. Setting unreasonable expectations for ourselves doesn't really do much for helping us meet our objectives! Here are two thoughts I'd keep in mind going forward:

In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps. ~Proverbs 16:9

Many are the plans that are in a man's heart,
but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.~Proverbs 19:21

So even though you may have great plans in mind, remember to submit them to the Lord first and foremost! He is in control over all and may His sovereign will be priority our our temporary plans.

Last thought: A new day is just as amazing as a new year! I absolutely love these verses from Lamentations 3:

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning
great is your faithfulness.

What a promise! God's mercies towards us aren't limited to a new year coming around. GREAT is His faithfulness---how?? Because His mercies never come to an end; they are new every. morning. How awesome is that!? 

Don't get discouraged and totally lose hope if/when you get off track from your yearly goals. Thanks be to God, He has already made provision for His children and has new mercies available to us for this new day, not just when a new year rolls around.

So no, I'm not going to say "Happy New Year" to you guys; it's too late in the month for that anyway! But I absolutely will say HAPPY NEW DAY, everyone!! :-)

Photo courtesy of Google Images
So what goals have you set for yourself this year?
What steps are you taking to achieve them?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! 7 am! I didn't make it that late. I don't typically set goals but focus on one word for the year. I love how God brings up things throughout the year related to that word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely made it that late! :) I love reading about how that one word ends up integrating in whatever God has you doing throughout the year! I'll have to pop onto your blog to see about this year's word (if you've written about it already)!

      Delete